Frequently Asked Questions

Sofa too big

Do you have questions about Affordable Housing, and how to go about getting one? Check this FAQ to see if your question is answered.

What is Affordable Housing?

Affordable Housing in planning terms has a very clear and defined meaning and is set out in the Government’s 2012 National Policy Planning Framework (NPPF) prepared by the Department for Communities and Local Government.

In this, Affordable Housing is defined as, “Social rented, affordable rented and intermediate housing, provided to eligible households whose needs are not met by the market. Eligibility is determined with regard to local incomes and local house prices. Affordable housing should include provisions to remain at an affordable price for future eligible households or for the subsidy to be recycled for alternative affordable housing provision.

Social rented housing is owned by local authorities and private registered providers (as defined in section 80 of the Housing and Regeneration Act 2008), for which guideline target rents are determined through the national rent regime. It may also be owned by other persons and provided under equivalent rental arrangements to the above, as agreed with the local authority or with the Homes and Communities Agency.

Affordable rented housing is let by local authorities or private registered providers of social housing to households who are eligible for social rented housing. Affordable Rent is subject to rent controls that require a rent of no more than 80% of the local market rent (including service charges, where applicable).

Intermediate housing is homes for sale and rent provided at a cost above social rent, but below market levels subject to the criteria in the Affordable Housing definition above. These can include shared equity (shared ownership and equity loans), other low cost homes for sale and intermediate rent, but not affordable rented housing.

Homes that do not meet the above definition of affordable housing, such as “low cost market” housing, may not be considered as affordable housing for planning purposes.”

Discounted Ownership – The discount sale model allows you to buy 100% of a property, but at a substantial discount off the open market value. The sale administration is usually undertaken by a registered provider. The buyer obtains a mortgage for the discounted price, but doesn’t pay rent on the remainder. If you buy a discount sale home you can’t purchase any shares in the property as it’s a “fixed equity” home. When you sell your home, you’ll have to sell it at the same discount percentage at which you bought it. When you want to sell you must notify the registered provider that manages your home. Your home must be sold to someone who is unable to afford a home on the open market.


How do I get an Affordable Home?

To get an Affordable Home, you must be on the Homepoint Register.


How do I rent a home from Shropshire Council?

If you’re looking to rent a property in Shropshire then Shropshire Council can help you. We are not just here to help those in severe need, but here to help anyone on any income find a home they want to rent.

To rent a home from Shropshire Council or from one of its Registered Providers you must be on the Shropshire Homepoint Register. This allows you to be considered for any new, existing homes or future homes in Shropshire. Many people wait too long to register and miss out on new or existing homes they’d like to live in! Don’t be one of these people and register today below.

Shropshire Council can also help you if you are looking for private rented accommodation, in private rented accommodation or want help or advice on issues such as Landlord and Tenant responsibilities. For example, are you concerned about the condition of your home or carbon monoxide poisoning?


Private rented sector housing

Housing options and homelessness


How can Shropshire Council provide me with information about buying a home?

Buying a home is a big commitment and one that many people feel is out of reach for them. For any decision you make, please make sure you have taken appropriate financial and legal advice.

There are many ways to buy a home or part own a home and at Shropshire Council we can advise on how you might be able to do this.

If you are looking for an affordable home, then the information below may be useful to you.

Home Ownership

Types of Affordable Housing

Help to Buy Midlands


What are Registered Providers (RPs) and what do they do?

RPs are key to the delivery of affordable housing. They’re independent housing organisations registered with the Homes & Communities Agency under the Housing Act 1996. Most are housing associations, but there are also trusts, co-operatives, charities and companies. They are usually run by a board of management.

RPs provide access to a range of types of homes, including houses, flats and bungalows, to suit the needs of the individual. Many RPs may, in addition to social rent, provide properties to part purchase under new-build Homebuy schemes. Some of the most active RPs that Shropshire Council is working with at the moment are:


Housing Plus Group

Shropshire Rural


Wrekin Housing Trust


Are you homeless or facing homelessness?

If you are homeless or facing homelessness then contact Shropshire Council as soon as possible.

Contact Shropshire Council


What is Assisted Independent Living?

Assisted Independent Living is primarily for those over 55 who may need a bit of assistance, but still want to live for the most part independently. It normally takes the form of sheltered and supported housing or Extra Care.

Sheltered and Supported Housing

Shropshire Choices


Who can I contact about help with Housing Benefits, Council Tax, Benefits, finance or living independently?

Shropshire Council have information available to help you with this through the links below.

Housing Support

Council Tax